Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fancy That

I Spent most of this weekend helping to organise a fancy dress party for the school which my children attend. I am the treasurer of the parents' association. This isn't as grand as it sounds it is a very small school.
Today is the first day of APOKRIES which lasts for three weeks and precedes lent. It is the Greek equivelent of the carnival celebrations and apart from street parades on the last day
there are also various theatrical events parties and the like. One town which is famous for its parade is PATRA and many Greeks and foreign tourists travel there to join in the fun. This is one of my favourite times of the year as I love dressing up and dancing, any excuse to make a fool of myself.Hopefully I will have some pictures to add later,if I can work out how it is done.
If you want to read more about Apokries you can visit:-

http://www.livingincrete.net/apokries.html

No comments: